Monday, September 19, 2005

But they told me there would be parties...

I don't know why I thought law school would be mostly fun and games.

Maybe it's because the LSAT had a games section which really was fun. Maybe it's all the riveting TV shows and movies about law. Or maybe because in a subject so riddled with "parties," you just envision good times.

But it's not.

Law school, for me anyhow, is a lot of pain and toil. Imagine wading through page after page of "fine print" and legalese and you'll have some idea of what my reading assignments are like.

To wit, here is a passage from my Contracts casebook, which I had to read and re-read for half an hour to get a sense of what it means:

"The rule which is applicable to one who is under a contract to render personal services, and who, being discharged without cause before the end of his term, sues for damages, requires him, in estimating damages, to allow for his services during the unexpired term whatever he is able to obtain for them, or, if damages are assessed before the end of the term, whatever he reasonably can be expected to obtain for them during the time covered by the contract."

Can you believe that is only one sentence long?!

And it also doesn't help that it was written in 1900. I thought reading Dickens novels were hard because of the dated language! Now I have to deal with archane semantics and legal words that masquerade as normal words.

A gold star to anyone who can explain to me what the excerpt above means. (Except for my brother, that's too easy for him.)

2 Comments:

Blogger melissa said...

my take on it is if say, a prostititute who works on an hourly basis is hired for an entire night, and then the guy only keeps her around for an hour and is only willing to pay her for that time, she can sue for payment for the unused part of the night, using estimates of how much she would have made in that time had the customer not already booked her for the whole time.

do i get a gold star?

6:00 PM  
Blogger Alice in Wonderland said...

Good job! And salacious too. You get a triple x, gold star. (I actually don't know.) yikes!

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
_