Friday, September 23, 2005

Girls Gone Mild

Two great things happened in law school this week.

First, the new law school gym finally opened. Before, I was trying to make do by going to the undergrad gym, Malkin, but it was sadly deficient.

Malkin is poorly ventilated (think nasty sour sweat smell), had very few machines, and no free weights! How could a private school with a bazillion times MORE funding than Berkeley have a gym that was a bazillion times WORSE than Berkeley's? Where is all that money going to? Bribing US News & World Report to give them higher rankings?

But the new gym is beautiful. Still small, but very sleek and modern. And, the best part of it is that EVERY single cardio machine has its OWN TV screen attached to it. That's right! You just plug in your earphones and enjoy whatever show you like.

The second great thing that happened was that I joined my equivalent of a law school sorority.

Ever since law school started, I have been trying to befriend my female classmates to no avail. For some reason, they have no desire to talk to me and when I talk to them, they answer in curt phrases, making it abundantly clear that they don't care to continue the interaction. So what's a girl to do?

But this week, in Contracts, our professor forced us to form study groups. I didn't want to join a group of guys, but then again, I may have to since I didn't know any girls.

Just as I was pondering my testosterone-laden options, my classmate Jenna asked me if I wanted to form a study group with her. Wow. I would've never thought Jenna even knew I was a live. She is one of the more trendy looking girls who was, unlike me, very popular with the other girls in our class.

So Jenna and I talked about who else we wanted in our exclusive group of 4. We ranked girls and made lists. We considered their comments in class and their conduct outside of it. At one point Jenna said, "I feel like I'm rushing." When I looked puzzled, she explained, "You know, how in sororities you rush girls to pick who gets in."

Oh, yeah. I've never been part of the Girls Gone Wild party/sorority scene, but this was as close as I would ever get, I suppose. Being in a group with an ex-sorority chick.

But in case I got the wrong idea that I was somehow now in Jenna's nucleus of friends, who all look like ex-sorority girls themselves, Jenna makes it a point not to talk to me too much in public. We mostly communicate through email.

"Sure Christina, why don't you shoot me an email about it."
"Great Christina,...ummm, let's talk about it more over email."

Apparently high school teen dramas are a pretty accurate portrayal of the female social dynamics in law school. And as is the fate of all conventional nerds, the popular girl only talks to me for study help.

And I don't mind because she's cool.

3 Comments:

Blogger melissa said...

this reminds me of legally blonde all over again. all my brochures say how nice harvard people are, how strong the community, how willing to help one another. feel free to tell me if it's all marketing brochure bs!!

hang in there girl, it's a tuff land but you'll win them over ;)

2:33 AM  
Blogger Alice in Wonderland said...

Thanks for the encouragement. Maybe the B-school is full of nice people...but in law school your grades are based on a curve and that means competition...and that means ugly.

1:28 PM  
Blogger kony said...

gym explanation: it's because cali is sunny (read: skimpy-clothing weather) and californians are shallow.

girls are retarded. you're cool, christina.

4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
_