Wednesday, December 14, 2005

On a scale of 1 to 10...

Today was the last day of class for Contracts and Civil Procedure.

I suppose I could write about the out-of-control hilarity that reigned free in the classrooms today and all the childish pranks we students played on our professors.

One crazy "frat" guy brought an amp and mic and proceeded to emcee during the entire class time, commenting and "shouting-out" like some kind of football spectator. Most of the silly things we did were inside jokes and it would just take too long to recount them and then explain why the heck they were so funny.

To some, like me, the end of Contracts marks the end of a long reign of terror and humiliation. Nothing has served to humble me more than being randomly called in class, answering like an idiot, and then having another classmate "help you out," as the professors euphemistically called it. The insult to injury comes, however, when the entire class shoots their hands up to "help you out."

At the end of each class today the profs gave us a little pep talk about our ensuing final exams. They said things like: Don't worry; grades don't matter; now is the time to stop defining yourself by a number. Prof H went so far as to suggest we never even look at the grades we get.

"Don't pick up your exam grades. Why should you? You did your best, and that's good enough. Who cares what you actually got? I never looked at my grades when I was in law school."

Just sitting here I am in disbelief that my first semester of law school is now nearing to a close. Before entering, I had heard a million and one urban legends about how "brutal" and "psycho" law school is. I had girded myself for the worse.

And was it that bad? Well...I have yet to take the finals. But so far, it wasn't that bad. Sure I never studied so long and hard in my life. Sure I got tired and burnt out near the end (or rather, middle). Sure I had no social life and gave up all hobbies. But it wasn't that bad.

I didn't have to give up TV or blogging. And as humbled as I was in class, I did understand most of the materials we were assigned. And I really liked my classmates and profs.

So all in all, it was a good experience. Challenging, stretching, painful, but good.

But I swear, if the semester had dragged on for another month...I would NOT be a happy camper. I couldn't have taken much more of this.

1 Comments:

Blogger melissa said...

yay!

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
_